Wednesday 25 February 2015

Whale meat `tatsuta-age´ Norweigian style

鯨の竜田揚げ、ノルウェー風

My family and I travelled to Northern Norway last week.
There we had delicious fish and local food.
One of the things I was given by friends to take was whale meat.

Whale meat, believe or not, was occasionally served as school lunch when I was at elementary school.(this was many, many years ago.  I don´t know if it´s served at school now).
One of the popular dishes was deep-fried whale meat with tomato-based sauce.
And somehow it was called `Norwegian-style´.

The whale meat I got in Andøya inspired me to recreate the dish :-)
I served it to my Norwegian family in Oslo.
It was an instant success!


Serves 4 (As a side dish)

150g Whale meat
1 tbs/ss sake
1tbs/ss soya sauce
1/2 ts grated ginger
3 tbs/ss potate flour (or cornstarch)
oil for deep-fry

3&1/2 tbs/ss tomato ketchap
1 ts worcestershire sauce
1ts soya sauce
1 ts sugar



1 Cut the meat into bite-size pieces (I had carpaccio meat so cut into half then made them as balls).

2 Put the meat in a small container and marinate with the sake, soya sauce and ginger.
Rest the meat in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

3 Conbine the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, soya sauce and sugar in a small pot.
Mix well and cook for 1minute then set aside.


3 Preheat the oil for deep-frying.
Cover the marinated meat with the potato flour.

4 Deep-fry the meat until the surface becomes golden.
Drain the fried meat with kitchen paper.
Conbine with the sauce, and serve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment